Monday, February 14, 2011

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney


First of all, I love to talk.  It's hard for me not to start talking at this very second as my husband and I attempt to get some work done on the couch to polish off this Valentine's evening.  The problem is, if I were to start talking now, neither of us would be able to do our work. Namely, this post wouldn't get written before 10:00 (hopefully!) and I'd be tired all day tomorrow.  In our class, LLED4120, we all softly chatter for the first couple minutes of writing.  Then what happens?? The room goes COMPLETELY silent. Why? Because we actually want to get our writing done.  I imagine many kids work the best in the same way - without 20 jaws flapping within a 10 foot radius of them. Sure...talking is great. I can hardly stop! But, can you really count on kids to only talk about their writing, and are many people under the age of 25, or many people at all, very effective workers if they're busy talking?? 

Oops, sorry! Just got distracted...started talking about puppies. Really. See what I mean??
My current distraction...doesn't he just look so fun to talk to :)
  I understand certain situations where talking could result in valuable sharing within a writing workshop.  Maybe students could research together or test out ideas, but only for the first five minutes or so.  Because the teacher is busy conferencing with 7-8 students throughout the supposed 45 min writing block, the teacher has no time to monitor the content of every conversation.  I know if I had been given free choice to talk in elementary school, I would have, and I wouldn't have stopped.  Why not put on some peaceful music and have some quiet writing time so students can focus on their, you guessed it, WRITING! I would be willing to negotiate with the rare elementary aged child who can both carry on a meaningful conversation and produce magnificent writing, but until I find this extraordinary child, I'll stick with my belief that the best writing occurs in a quiet classroom.  No, this doesn't mean if a child talks I'm going to throw my clipboard and flip out.  I have no problem with soft chatter accompanied by work...I'm just not so sure this tandem exists. 

10:00 on the dot.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this. Every workshop is different, and you will set the tone. It also depends on the part of the process you are in. I do think there can be value in encouraging students to respond to each other's work. So maybe there can be a conference zone somewhere that does not disturb others?

    Beth

    ReplyDelete